Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Do I Register My Cell Phone or Not?

Twice, just this week, I received an email from well intended people informing that my cell phone is going to be called by telemarketers soon. The wording was slightly different but both were basically saying that telemarketers are soon going to get a list of cell phone numbers and start calling you. Then direct you to https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx . While there is no harm in doing so, chances are telemarketers are not going to be calling your cell phone anytime soon. I did what I do with most forwards that sound a bit off center and checked with Snopes. (I suggest doing this for any forwarded email you receive that says it is a public service announcement. Especially before sending it on to 40 of your friends, family and colleagues. Because trust me if you sent them every one of those fwds you get, eventually they are just deleting your emails before they even open them.)

So anyways, like most emails like this there is some truth to them. Because there are now more cell phone numbers than land lines AllTel, AT&T Wireless, Cingular, Nextel, Sprint PCS, and T-Mobile have banded together and hired Qsent, Inc. to produce a Wireless 411 service. This is a completely an opt in service. And the numbers will NOT be printed nor sold to telemarketers. For more specifics you can read the rest here at Snopes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home